Home

History

ImageThe original property that became Hidden Meadow Ranch was homesteaded by frontiersman John Chellis Hall and his family in 1916.  Over 80 years later, upon purchasing the Ranch in December 2000, the current owners hosted a dinner for descendents of Mr. Hall.  During that dinner Frances Hall, daughter-in-law of that original owner, told the history of the Ranch:

The Halls were originally from Utah and migrated to Eagar, Arizona -- the watershed of the Little Colorado River.  Pop Hall homesteaded the ranch in 1916, and President Harding signed the Homestead Agreement.  Pop built a cabin and corral and used hewn logs to create an aqueduct to bring water down to the cabin from Patterson Spring.

Pop Hall drove a buckboard wagon to Greer every week for supplies.  His daughters spoke of being lonely because they only went to town on the 4th of July.  The three eldest daughters milked 15 cows every morning and night, while Pop ran nearly 300 head of cattle on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.  The family also grew potatoes and barley on the ranch property.

In 1946, Pop Hall's son bought the ranch for $7,500 after returning home from the armed services.  Pipe replaced the hewn logs channeling water from Patterson Spring to the ranch pond.

In 1984, the Andersen family of Mesa, Arizona, acquired the ranch from the Hall family. For the next 10 years, it was used for family outings and little else. Between 1993 and 1995, the Andersen family built the central Ranch House, the Outfitter Barn, and the original 14 cabins.  They ran the property as Aspen Meadow Ranch, a church youth camp and small guest ranch. In December 2000, the present owners and their friends purchased the beautiful property and, based on their vision, created the facilities as you see them today.